A higher degree. A higher purpose.
The objective of the MBS programme is to enable the students to work as competent managers and to meet the demand of higher level managers in organizations, particularly in the functional areas of management. Upon graduation, a student should be able to function as a manager in business, industry, government and non-government sectors, within and outside the country, in areas like accounting, marketing, finance and general management. The MBS programme specifically aims to:
1. Equip the students with required conceptual knowledge of business and management.
2. Prepare managers in the functional areas of management.
3. Develop knowledge and skill of business environment in national and global perspective.
4. Encourage entrepreneurial capabilities in students to make them effective agents in the Nepalese society.
5. Develop research capability in the students.
The MBS program is based on the student-centered learning approach. The general teaching methodology of the program includes interactive lectures, students’ presentations, case studies, and projects. The teaching faculty shall determine the appropriate teaching-learning methods suitable for each course.
This program demands a very high level of commitment from students. Students are required to attend all the classes and presentations on a regular basis, as required by the course. Students failing to attend 80 % of classes shall not be allowed to appear in the semester-end examinations.
Normal and Maximum Duration of Study
The normal duration and the maximum duration for the completion of the requirements for the various programs are as follows:
|Total Duration||No of Months||No of Semesters|
|Normal Duration||24 Months||4 Semesters|
|Maximum Duration||48 Months||8 Semesters|
The curriculum for MBS degree comprises three separate and distinct course components. The three components are:
|1. Core Courses||Core business courses, integrates all analytical and functional areas and provides the students with an appreciation of the diversity and inter-relationship of business and management issues. It includes subjects such as Research Methodology and Statistical Methods, Business Economics, Organizational Behavior and Human Resources Management, Managerial Finance, Management Accountancy, Marketing Management, Production and Operations Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Strategic Management and Business Environment.Normal Duration|
|2. Specialization Courses|
|Specialization in any one of the areas, such as, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, General Management and Management Science enables the student to develop expertise in the functional area.|
|3. Thesis Writing or Project Work|
|The MBS programme requires the students to conduct original research work during the second year of the two-year study period. Students are required to either write a thesis or undertake two project assignments based on their original research work. Studentsopting thesis or project reports are encouraged to write their thesis or project reports within the selected specialization area. The MBS program is a four semester (two-year) program with four key components: (a) coreccourses, (b) specialization courses, and (c) a thesis.|
Students applying for the MBS program must fill in the application blank with all details of their personal information and past academic records.
1. The selection of students shall be based on CMAT.
2. FOM shall conduct a Central Management Admission Test (CMAT) that will test the basic ability of the students in verbal ability and quantitative ability.
3. The test shall be based on the GMAT and GRE format. The admission test shall be concentrated on testing verbal and quantitative ability, business and economics, logical reasoning and general awareness.
4. There are altogether hundred (100) questions in the CMAT containing 20 questions in each section.
5. Students must secure a minimum 40% in the CMAT in order to qualify for the admission.